Monday, April 7, 2014

The Spider Chronicles, A Spider Victory

As my war rages with the arachnids I have always stayed ahead. I have, at times, been impressed by their tenacity and creative endeavors to claim my home as their territory but, as the superior opponent I have earned victory in all our encounters. But all goliaths will fall. Last night's battle proved a victory for the enemy.
            They waited months for my guard to go down and then attacked as I was cleaning up my modest meal of the evening. It scurried fast, sticky legs hugging the wall as it raced along the slightly uneven surface. I let out a startled cry and swiftly backed away from my counter. Suds and water dripped from my fingers as I braced myself for a fight. It must have scouted the perfect location for this attack. It positioned itself by my food so I couldn't use my bug spray for the risk of poisoning my rations and it was safe behind large, bulky water buckets so I couldn't get a good angle with a shoe. I decided I had to try anyway.
            Yet the spider countered every move I made. I took one step towards my shoes, it scurried a little closer. I took another step and it scurried closer. I lunged for my shoes and it dropped out of sight. I let out another shriek. At this second shriek I heard the cries of my anxious neighbors. I beat a retreat from my home. The spiders had won.
            I was saddened and ashamed at my loss. It was a dark night.

            The spider was not victorious for long. Reinforcements soon came and evicted the disgusting creature in only a matter of minutes. Zed forced the spider from under the table with a volley of bug spray and quickly smashed it with a shoe, sweeping it out of sight and into a rain ditch. My ally was strong and fearless when coming to my aid. I thank him and send this blog as a tribute to his strength.

The spider from the first installment of this saga was twice as big.

No comments:

Post a Comment