Monday, August 19, 2013

And so it begins . . .

Being here makes you English diminish rapidly. For example, it took me several minutes to write that first sentence and I'm pretty sure there is still something off about it. I also spelled "example" "examply" and today I wrote the word "effeckins." Please, for the love of god, somebody tell me what "effeckins" are because I sure don't know. On Friday, (this examply is one that I am exceedingly embarrassed about) I was teaching vegetable words to third graders. It took actual thinking energy to know how to spell "potato" and "tomato." And I still got it wrong. Seriously, what is happening to me?
            I suppose I can't help it. I spend two hours every morning learning a new language. After that I spend a few hours incessantly saying "hello, how are you?" in that language to dozens of people I've never met. And, in order to communicate with the few people who do know some conversational English, I have to simplify my English. Which means "where are you go" and "how do you find Butajira" (which means "how do you like Butijira.") have become common phrases in my vernacular.
            So I apologize to my readers. I am still going to try and make interesting posts and practice being a writer that's worth reading, but I can't promise any steller prose. (Or spelling stellar right) On the contrary, I'm pretty sure we can all look forward to some pretty boring straightforward posts. That or I will just do pictures.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, a little bit off, "you" rather than "your", unless the number (or size) of English people is diminishing there. I was only back in Oklahoma for three days (after living in Boston) before the word "dawg" came out of my mouth, so these things happen. You'll recover eventually!

    Re your last post, I think being Julia Bruce Paul beats being Marge Merle Clyde :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, this is something everybody laughs at. today I spent a good long minute starring at the word "solution" to make sure it was right.

    ReplyDelete