Monday, August 25, 2014

Reverse Culture Shock

#1: When in the bathroom: "Where the hell is the flusher on this thing?! Oh, right."

#2: "This tissue paper is so soft I think I'll spend several minutes rubbing it on my face before using it."

#3: When at a coffee shop: "And what would you like?" "Uh . . . Coffee?" "What kind?" "Uh . . ."

#4: When watching American television: ". . . WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?!!!!!!"

#5: Eating off other people's plates . . . That's not a thing here.

#6: Speaking Amharic when nobody knows what the fuck I'm saying: "I'll have some wuha." "What?"

#7: When buying alcohol: "Why do you need to see my ID?"

#8: Brushing things onto the floor does not constitute cleaning.

#9: Why are the doors so fucking heavy?!

#10: American money: "Oh, that's not so expensive." "Julia, that's not in Birr."

Not Reverse Culture Shock: Driving a car: It's like riding a bike.


Bonus: Me eating an American hamburger for the first time in a year.






No comments:

Post a Comment