Monday, June 23, 2014

The Light Goddess

I'm taking a break out of my regular blog posts to pay tribute to a dear friend of mine. A week and three days ago, Sarah Le, my partner in musical crimes against under classmen, passed away. It is hard going through a loss but it's even harder going through one thousands of miles away from the people you want to give you hugs. I've been doing a lot of hanging out with friends here in Ethiopia to keep myself sane, but her death is a hard thing to accept. And not getting to see her one last time at the viewing or attend the funeral is not making it easier. 

Here's to you, Sarah Le.

The Light Goddess

Sarah the Light Goddess
Sarah Le who doesn't bake cakes.
Sarah who plays with light and makes robots.
Sarah who lived in a world of fuses and wires.
I, in my world of syntax and diction never understood
    When the words you used tried to invite me to your passion.
You were my friend. 
    Since seventh grade, you've been my friend.
I've sat with you to make music.
I've watched you make beautiful sets on stage all the more beautiful
    By the colored lights you set.
You've struggled for as long as I've known you
And yet you smiled through it all.
Such a beautiful smile.
Maybe it's ironic you could make so much light
     When you had so much darkness inside.
I'm sorry I lost you.
I'm sorry I missed the last seven years.
I never thought I'd miss everything
And I am so sorry.
My friend -- Sarah Le -- The Light Goddess
May God grant you the reigns to the celestial catwalk,
     Because your sunrise will be beautiful.

1 comment: